Does Your Happiness depend on your circumstances or your Attitude?
Try this on yourself.
- First, on a scale of one to ten, with one being blah and ten being the best you ever felt, give yourself a number.
- Next, write down or think about the things you’re grateful for.
- Now rate yourself again.
- Did your number go up, even a little?
- At every moment, you have a choice to look at what’s right or wrong with yourself and your life.
- Gratitude is like a flashlight, shining on what’s good.
- When you turn it on, you feel happier, no matter what else is going on.
Science is now confirming the power of good attitude. Studies show that being grateful increases happiness by 25% and boosts the amount of time people spend exercising. Being positive even seems to create greater equality in dividing up chores between partners.
The great thing about the gratitude flashlight: It works no matter who you are young or old, fat or thin, rich or poor, sick or well. All you need to do is turn it on.